The EUI and YouGov are, since 2018, monitoring the development of Solidarity in Europe through a representative, large-N survey. The 2020 version of the survey, covering 13 EU member states and the UK, was conducted in April 2020 at the height of the Corona pandemic in Europe. Two earlier renditions of the survey (2018, 2019) analyzed 10 EU members states and the UK. The survey explores how support for European solidarity varies by issue (solidarity for what?), instrument (solidarity how?) and by member state (solidarity by whom for whom?). In addition, the 2020 survey has been expanded with questions on the ‘kind of society’ and the ‘kind of Europe’ citizens wish to live in. The 2021 survey, also covering 10 EU member states and the UK, has additional questions on Covid-19 vaccines and restrictions. The project produces research outputs such as datasets, scientific journal articles, policy briefs and media contributions, and will replicate and expand the survey annually in the upcoming years.
The project is led by Philipp Genschel and Anton Hemerijck, in collaboration with Lorenzo Cicchi, Luis Russo (EUI), Mohamed Nasr (ETH Zürich), Stephan Shakespeare and Jonathan van Parys (YouGov). All datasets are publicly available on Open Access. Research based on such data is welcome, for any inquiry please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020 survey data, available on Cadmus
- 2018 and 2021 trendfile and yearly datasets, available on Cadmus
Publications and multimedia
- 2021 Policy brief ‘Solidarity and Trust in Times of Covid-19’ (Genschel, Hemerijck, Nasr and Russo)
- 2021 Recording of the State of the Union presentation ‘How did the COVID-19 pandemic change citizens’ attitudes towards the EU, towards national governments and towards each other?’ (Genschel, Hemerijck and Nasr)
- 2020 Updated version of policy brief ‘EU Solidarity in times of Covid-19’ (Cicchi, Genschel, Hemerijck and Nasr)
- 2020 Policy Brief ‘EU solidarity in times of Covid-19’ (Cicchi, Genschel, Hemerijck and Nasr)
- 2020 “Die Zeit” article based on EUI-YouGov data ‘Die Europäische Versicherungsunion’ – in German
- 2020 Blog post ‘Corona Solidarity’ (Bremer and Genschel)
- 2020 YouGov UK report ‘What the EU should be’
- 2020 YouGov Italy report ‘Cosa dovrebbe essere l’Unione Europea?’ – in Italian
- 2020 “The Independent” article based on EUI-YouGov data ‘Another hidden cost of Brexit has been laid bare – people will be less willing to help the UK in a crisis’
- 2019 Scientific aarticle ‘Juncker’s Curse? Identity, Interest, and Public Support for the Integration of Core State Powers’ published in the Journal of Common Market Studies (Bremer, Genschel and Jachtenfuchs)
- 2018 Policy brief ‘Solidarity in Europe’ (Genschel and Hemerijck), prepared for the 2018 State of the Union conference