In this crucial period of the future of the European project, the definition of the financial and political priorities after 2020 will be one of the major challenges of the EU Institutions and the Governments of the Member States.
The outgoing Commission has left its legacy of proposals to renew the Multiannual financial framework (MFF) for the period after 2021 and all the EU legislation with a financial impact. Some consider the legislative package presented by the Commission a step towards a more ambitious reform, while others deem that the proposals are only a cosmetic change in the continuity of the past.
The Workshop, organised by the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, will take place after the new Commission and the new Parliament have taken office.
The aim of the workshop is to assess which policy options could contribute to shape the EU policies for the next decade.
The outcome will constitute a source of inspiration not only for the stakeholders during the negotiations but also after the approval of the package for those who are interested in renewing the EU policies as part of the relaunching of the European project.
30 years after the Fall of the Berlin Wall, there is widespread disillusionment with the outcomes of the transformation in the East. Public distrust in democratic institutions and political leaders, perception of widespread corruption, limited economic and social convergence with the West, and recurrent East-West conflicts attest to this. Consequently, political liberalism and European integration are being contested; economic nationalism has re-emerged, and historical memories are being re-written to idealise Europe’s dark 1920s and 1930s. However, disillusionment has varied across countries and over time.
The conference seeks to confront the hopes raised in the early years of transformation with the outcomes 30 years later.
- Europe in the New World (Dis)order, lecture on 5 September 2019
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 5. Differentiated Integration, discussion on 4 June 2019
- ECPR 50th Anniversary: European Political Science at 50, workshop on 3-4 June 2019
- Bordering Europe, workshop on 30 May 2019
- The most contested European elections ever? A read-out of the 2019 vote for the European Parliament, roundtable on 29 May 2019
- The Effects of Multilevel Governance, conference on 23-24 May 2019
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 4. The Future of Social Policy: Can Social Investment provide the basis for a European Social Union?, discussion on 30 April 2019
- Differentiated Integration as a Fair Scheme of Cooperation, workshop on 15 March 2019
- Recasting the Welfare State 20 Years Later, conference on 14-15 March 2019
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 3. The Future of European Monetary Union, discussion on 5 March 2019
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 2. Free Movement and Social Rights Conditionality, discussion on 19 February 2019
- Germany and European (Dis?)Integration, book launch on 1 February 2019
- Democratic Backsliding and Public Administration, Workshop on 31 January 2019
- Integrating Diversity in the European Union, Kick-off meeting Project InDivEU on 24 January 2019
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 1. The Future of Refugee Policy and Burden-Sharing in Europe, discussion on 15 January 2019
- Europeanization Revisited: Central and Eastern Europe in the European Union, an Ebook presentation on 30 November 2018
- What Scenarios for Italy and the Eurozone?, а roundtable on the current political crisis in Italy and the Eurozone on 6 June 2018
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 4. What would a good Brexit be like?, discussion on 5 June 2018
- Re-engaging Grand Theory: European Integration in the 21st Century, conference held at the EUI on 31 May – 1 June 2018
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 3. Why and how must the physical protection of European citizens be enhanced?, discussion on 29 May 2018
- NORFACE Welfare State Futures Programme Final Conference, conference held at the EUI on 24-25 May 2018
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 2. How can European institutions and their decisions acquire greater legitimacy in the citizens’ eyes?, discussion on 22 May 2018
- Conversations for the Future of Europe: 1. What is the next step for the social protection of European citizens?, discussion on 15 May 2018
- The Referendum Challenge to the European Union, conference held at the EUI on 25-26 January 2018
- 2017: Europe’s Bumper Year of Elections, EGPP launch conference held at the EUI on 8-9 March 2018